Sunday 20 May 2018

If Israel were a State

Background:  Yesterday I was  in San Diego having fun at the beach. For a while I sat on the shore with my feet in the water reading The Diary of a Young Girl. Then a miracle happened. A score of  little bottles reached land  and assembled in between my bare feet. I could see that each was sealed and contained a short note. I picked up the bottles carefully and moved them to safety. I collected the notes and tried to assemble the lines into a cohesive  message. I understand that this text, as put together by me, may be  offensive to some. If you can think of a different arrangement of the messages that offers an alternative meaning, please share it with me and I will consider publishing it.
san diego.jpg
If Israel were a State
A poem assembled by Gilad Atzmon
If Israel were a state (and Jews a people like all other people) it would have deployed policemen at the Gaza border instead of snipers with live ammunition.
If Israel were a state (and Jews a people like all other people) it would invite the indigenous people of Palestine to return to their land.
If Israel were a state (and Jews a people like all other people) it would apologize for making Gaza into the biggest open-air prison known to man.
If Israel were a state (and Jews a people like all other people) it would, by now, live in peace under the sun.
But Israel is a Jewish Ghetto (and Jews are somehow different…)
If they want to burn it, you want to read it!
Being in Time – A Post Political Manifesto,
Amazon.co.uk , Amazon.com and  here (gilad.co.uk).

River to Sea Uprooted Palestinian   
The views expressed in this article are the sole responsibility of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of the Blog!

No comments: